Wednesday, February 16, 2011

About a month ago, we signed up for something called a CSA. The acronym CSA
stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically what that means is that a bunch of local farmers contribute their produce, and I pick it up every Wednesday in a handy dandy
little box. Our specific company is Abundant Harvest Organics. Everything is organic, all chicken products are free-range and all meat products are grass
fed.

This week, I think we got a little less than we had the previous weeks. In the picture below are: oranges, tangelos, mandarins, butternut squash, carrots, spinach, turnips, shallots, baby artichokes, Chinese cabbage and potatoes.


All of that comes in the small basic box. On top of that, this week we also added on boneless skinless chicken breasts and a pound of sharp cheddar. I haven't tried the cheese yet but last week we got monterey jack that was wonderful.

In the box, there is always a newsletter that tells what's going on with the farmers and whatnot. It also includes a list of the produce, which farm each item came from and two recipes. Tonight, I plan on making butternut squash soup. That's all I have planned for this week's box, but I know it will all get used some way or another. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last week Caleb wanted me to take a picture of his plate. I roasted a chicken with some oranges and red onions, and he made the potatoes, broccoli and carrots. It was a great meal, all provided by the lovely farmers of Southern California.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Caleb's plate looks so good! I would do that but I wouldn't eat half of the stuff. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! The chicken and spuds look wonderfull. Next time we are there or you guys are here I hope you'll make that.

    ReplyDelete