Thursday, October 28, 2010

This is a terrible picture, but the apple looks delicious. I had a really hard time not eating it.

As someone who lived in Washington for 18/21 years of her life, Fall to me means apples. Actually, all year means apples, but you know what I mean.

Applesauce may be the easiest thing I've ever made, including cereal. It's also one of the most delicious things I’ve had, fresh and warm. I used this recipe as a base, but made some changes.

Ingredients

  • 4 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup white sugar-I omitted this
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon-I added this to taste

  • Directions
  • In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.

I used two Jonagolds, one Fuji and one Granny Smith. It was the perfect combination of sweet and just a bit tart, with no added sugar!

The finished product.


The second best part of making this, after having delicious applesauce, was the way it made my house smell. It's a wonderful fall scent.

We're saving all of the peels and cores for a super special surprise.

I also made roasted pumpkin seeds. I tossed them with olive oil, melted butter, garlic salt and sea salt before putting them in the oven. They're the perfect snack. I've already eaten way to many!


Edit: I apologize for the awful photo quality. I don't know if my camera is being wonky or if it's operator error, but every picture turns out terribly.

2 comments:

  1. Wonky? HAhahaha. I love this post! I am totally making some applesauce now. :) I think I will add a LITTLE brown sugar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, homemade applesauce is amazing. Which I now know.

    My camera cannot take "close up" pictures. If I'm not at least 2 feet away from something the picture is definitely going to be blurry,but I have a really old cheap digital camera. I always think they look okay, too, until I download them onto my computer... Sigh.

    Maybe your camera had the same problem?

    ReplyDelete